If a teenager is battling a mental health difficulty, mental health rehab often makes sense. Such conflicts in teenagers are more common than most people realize. Indeed, teens facing a mental health crisis need immediate help and support.
Scared to talk about what is happening to them, however, teenagers often self-medicate with drugs and alcohol. They try their best to make the pain go away. As a result, choosing mental health rehabilitation is a smart choice for parents to make.
Fighting the Stigma of Mental Health Rehab
When families consider a mental health rehab for mental illness for a troubled teen, however, they often come face to face with stigma and prejudice. Negative cultural stereotypes lead to undue concern. Indeed, pop-cultural stereotypes are hard to forget.
However, they have nothing to do with the professional, mindful nature of teen mental health rehabilitation. Indeed, such foolish stereotypes ignore today’s empowering approach towards mental health rehabilitation. Such approaches highlight compassionate care and precise expertise.
Thus, the focus of the modern mental health rehab center is about finding recovery. Parents hate to see a child suffering, and they need the relief and consolation that is the work of mental health professionals. Indeed, it is so hard to see a teen suffering from clinical depression. Nobody wants a young person to suffer needlessly.
Moreover, it’s just as heartbreaking to see a teen overwhelmed by an anxiety disorder. Given such difficulties, mental health rehab for mental illness makes sense. Thus, it is a logical choice to treat the problem and foster a return to health.
Mental Health Rehabilitation Means Potential Recovery
According to MentalHealth.gov, the one-stop access to U.S. government mental health and mental health problems information, mental health rehabilitation, and rehab for mental illness are about recovery. Additionally, they see recovery from substance use disorders and mental health disorders as being part of the same process. Thus, choosing a mental health rehabilitation center is endorsed by the government.
As detailed in a hopeful page entitled “Recovery Is Possible,” the process of mental health rehab is outlined as being about the following three goals:
- Improve the health and wellness of an individual
- Help the individual to live a self-directed life
- Provide freedom so they can achieve their full potential
Although such goals take time to achieve, a mental health rehabilitation center helps lay the groundwork for such long-term success. First, the key is to stop the suffering and restore balance in a troubled teen. To take this step, you need to know the types of treatment available and make the right choice.
Moreover, pharmaceutical interventions often are used to help a teenager overcome initial difficulties. If needed, extended pharmaceutical help is an option when required. Such medications can be beneficial, helping to stabilize mental or emotional disorders.
It’s important to note that medication is not the absolute answer. Indeed, it’s only part of the work done at a mental rehabilitation center. Often, however, finding the right medication opens the door for a teenager. Hence, they walk back into a happy life.
Overcoming Stigma by Talking About Rehab for Mental Illness
Let’s be honest and not try to avoid the truth: it’s hard for any parent to talk to a child about rehab for mental illness. Such a conversation is tense and not very enjoyable. However, such a conversation about mental health rehab often is necessary.
Therefore, it might help to start with basic questions as outlined by MentalHealth.gov in a section designed for parents and caregivers. By asking these questions, a conversation is fostered between a parent and a troubled teen. Hence, such a conversation often starts with questions like:
- I see that you are in pain. Can you tell me what you are feeling?
- I’m so sorry you are experiencing this difficulty. How long has it been happening?
- I’m here to support you. How can I help you feel better? Please let me know.
- I know it’s hard to talk about it. Would you rather speak with someone else?
- I think I know what to do next. Can you listen to options that might help?
- Also, I worry about your safety. Have you thought of harming yourself or others?
Indeed, such questions show that you care about what is happening. Even when you ask these questions, you still might not receive answers. Often, teens experiencing a mental health crisis shut down and are unable to communicate well.
A Mental Health Rehabilitation Center is Often Essential for Recovery
When a mental health rehabilitation center is essential for recovery, taking action is necessary. At this time, it’s valuable to know the different types of treatment. Therefore, according to Mental Health America, the most common types of therapy and treatment for mental health rehab include the following:
- Behavioral Therapy that focuses on stress management, pattern recognition, and relaxation training to help change thinking patterns and behavior
- Individual therapy that helps to reveal underlying trauma and reveal the unconscious processes behind mental health challenges
- Group therapy that improves socialization, increases identification, reduces stigma, and helps to make a patient feel part of a greater community
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy is about altering negative thoughts and beliefs patients have about themselves and the mental health issues they face
- Dialectical behavior therapy focuses on regaining emotional stability, improving impulse control and fostering coping mechanisms
- Family therapy where difficulties can be expressed in a safe environment, leading to the resolution of difficulties within the family structure
- Creative therapy like art, music, and movement where emotions can be expressed and feelings can be accessed
Not all of these treatments are offered at every mental health rehab center. However, mental health professionals with advanced degrees know about these treatment modalities and how to apply them. Indeed, a mental health rehab center is a place where troubled teens are in the capable hands of caring professionals.
Images courtesy Dương Nhân and Juan Pablo Arenas via Pexels.