08 Aug Teen Rehab’s Ultimate Guide to Anxiety
Anxiety is a mental illness that has many different signs, types and risk factors. Here at Teen Rehab, we’ve created an ultimate guide to help you understand the basics of anxiety and how it can be treated.
The Different Types of Anxiety
Signs and Symptoms of Anxiety
Image Credit: Henrique Félix
There are several different signs and symptoms to watch for if you think you or your teen may be struggling with anxiety:
- Seeming constantly on edge or paranoid
- Avoiding situations that could trigger anxiety, such as large crowds or loud noises.
- Physical symptoms including frequent stomach aches or headaches
- Mental symptoms such as the inability to concentrate, or emotional ups and downs
Risk Factors for Anxiety
Although an anxiety disorder can affect anyone regardless of age, gender, class or race, there are a few factors that could make some teens more susceptible to an anxiety disorder.
- Anxiety disorders can be genetic, so teens who have a family history of anxiety are more likely to struggle with the disorder themselves.
- Women and girls are diagnosed with an anxiety disorder more often than men and boys.
- A history of family conflict
- Substance abuse
- A recent major life change
Treatments for Anxiety
Living with an anxiety disorder can be lonely, difficult and frustrating. Thankfully there are many different types of treatments available for teens who are struggling with anxiety. Some simple calming treatments such as taking deep breaths, using an app for anxiety management or practicing yoga can be done at home when you or your teen is struggling with anxiety.
Anxiety disorders are mental illnesses that can affect people from any walk of life. If you think you or your teen is struggling with an anxiety disorder, be sure to reach out for help. With proper treatment, people with anxiety disorders can live normal, fulfilling lives.
Feature Image: Tookapic